Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Where the Sidewalk Ends - I found it!

Many of you will remember this poem by the late, famed children's author Shel Silverstein:

Where the Sidewalk Ends

There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.

Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.






I always thought this was an interesting concept. It's the modern, children's myth equivalent of the end of the world, the place in the ocean where the water just falls off the edge.

I am fortunate enough to recently have found.... *Drumroll* The End of the Sidewalk. ...And then several more.

The first one:





I was just walking along and then the sidewalk ended. I was like... well now what? I felt like Alice in Alice in Wonderland the cartoon movie, when the sweeping dog comes along and sweeps away her path.

So, with nothing else to do, I turned around and went back the way I came. No, I'm just kidding. I was a total rebel; I walked on the grass.

So that was interesting, but THEN a week or two later I went on a leisurely two hour bike ride with my Boy (yes, we're turning into one of THOSE couples; it's so depressing), and found three more!







If you happen to know of any sidewalk endings, I'd be interesting in seeing your pics. Show your endings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've looked long and hard for where the sidewalk ends.

Thanks.

- Jaden

Anonymous said...

Savannah,

That is cool. I have never come to end of a sidewalk (there not being many sidewalks where I live for me to explore).
I have, however, seen where two sidewalk slabs had risen up off the ground, looking like to cards leaned together in the beginning of a card castle: ^
If the end of the sidewalk signifies the end of the world, what does a mountain in the sidewalk stand for?
And how the heck are you supposed to ride your bike over it?

~Tally Marx
(being random)