Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Jazz and snazzy art

I finally buckled down (mainly out of need to good off while writing a paper on Langston Hughes, or perhaps because of the man himself) and downloaded practically every classic jazz song I could find, and I'm here to tell you about my infatuation and joy in this music.



If you have a music downloading service, such as Limewire, Napster, or iTunes, I recommend the following songs/artist:

Anything by Miles Davis and John Coltrane, in particular:

The Feeling of Jazz
After the Rain
Body and Soul
Naima
In A Sentimental Mood
Summertime

Take Five
This is Jazz
Autumn Leaves
Kind of Blue
Smooth Jazz
Blue In Green



And by other artists:



Berimbau: Mandrake
Billie Holiday: Strange Fruit
Ray Charles: Unchain My Heart
Rob Dougan: Will You Follow Me?



In terms of Art, I'm fascinated by the painters of jazz, particlarly those with styles favoring abstract characters and brigh colors. Scattered throughout this entry was artwork by:

D.D Ike
Ivey Hayes
Laverne Ross
Wilhelm Gorre
Bernard Hoyes
Jerry Butler

If there is an artist I did not list, please let me know.

No comments: