Tuesday, July 11, 2006

On Plot

Often, in writing, I will come up with a story idea and not have any idea how the entire plot will go, I just have one small tidbit. But one sentence leads to another, and one idea leads to another, and soon I have a whole plot line set out ahead of me. The hard part is just trusting yourself to be able to develop these ideas, and having the courage to proceed into the unknown.

This lends credence to the following quote: "As you continue, which you will do, the way to proceed will become apparent." ~John Cage


------------------------------------------------

In other news: I broke through on a story I was having a problem with. I set one of my characters out on a date in a Poetry Shack, and although I have been to a Poetry Shack, I have never been on a date, so I was a little stumped as to how to proceed. However, I remembered this quote:

When in doubt, blow something up. ~J. Michael Straczynski

As this was not a blow-something-up type of book, I opted instead for a bar fight, which successfully ended the date to rousing, comedic success, and I am now back on track with my hilarious, heart-warming story, Of Coffee And People.

No comments: